Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dear World,

I love to travel: to see new things, to smell new smells, to taste new tastes, to meet new people, to speak new languages.

One thing about traveling is, though, is that you leave many old things--old smells, old tastes, and old friends--behind. Staying in touch isn't terribly difficult, but facebook, surprisingly, does have its limits.

Recently, I've spent a lot of time with children. I've also been thinking about how children think and look at the world, how they learn what they learn and connect what they connect, how everything can be new and exciting. So for this blog (yes, yet another one), I'm going to write to the kiddies in my life. Hopefully it can be a way for my 2 year old niece and the 15 month, 4 year, and 8 year old kids I babysat to see what life is like in the new places I live and visit. And hopefully it will inspire me to look at things through the eyes of the child, with the excitement and optimism and innocence that Ellie, Olivia, Lucas, and Robert have. And, as they do with so many wonderful children's stories, maybe the adults in my life will get something out of it, too.

And tomorrow I'm off to Morocco (after a visit to Georgetown Cupcakes, of course)!

Love,

Aunt Em/Miss Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment